Sunday, January 16, 2011

Winter

I had a Christmas retrospective post half written, but the video wouldn't load, and I didn't have enough witty commentary to fill the space. This, perhaps, is a good representation of how I feel about January. Too much white, not enough fun. Really, why don't we have Christmas on January 25th? Who's with me?

So, I'm waiting for spring. This is the time of year when I count down the days, the hours, the dark nights, and the cold minutes. By my reckoning, we have about another two months. I'll be happy with 35 and sunny, but 75 and flip flops would be even better. I did take the baby for a walk in the 18 degree weather the other day. It was sunny, and not windy, but still- that's desperation for you. I think she was comfy, but my face was cold. I didn't bring a scarf for myself.

In the meantime, I'm cooking. Yesterday we had roasted carrot soup and irish soda bread- quite an excellent combination. The day-old bread, toasted, really was as good as they said. I'm learning to make artisan bread in five minutes a day (not that I have the book), but I had to take a break or else we'd eat nothing but bread. Tomorrow we're having rice and beans in attempt to save our grocery budget from our Christmas excess. I learned to make fried rice that we actually enjoyed eating. We ordered take-out Chinese the other day, but it was disappointing- next time we'll save our money and get a 5 dollar footlong. I'm still on the quest for the perfect pizza crust. Tonight's was a dud, perhaps because I used all whole-wheat flour. Fortunately, E likes pizza in all its forms. I've been eating waffles from the freezer for breakfast, and attempting to remember to eat fruit with lunch. When I worked, I'd pack myself a healthy lunch and eat it without much thought. Now, I'll usually have a sandwich or leftovers, but then it feels like a waste of time to sit and eat fruit. Until I'm hungry later- usually too hungry for fruit!

Since the preceding paragraph was probably only of interest to my Dad, we'll move on to the main attraction- Baby H. This evening aside, she has been delightful. She still only naps for 30 or 40 minutes, which is not her most delightful attribute. Currently, though, she is displaying one of her better traits- going to bed and sleeping all through the evening. She is usually up twice (sometimes once!) in the night, and we can frequently convince her to sleep until 8, so no complaints here. Or, at least, they are usually limited to the afternoon when she wakes up too early from her third nap, and even then I limit them to immediate family. She smiles, laughs, is ticklish, loves to be naked, jumps and smiles in her jumper (thanks A!), likes her toys, tolerates increasing amounts of tummy time, eats like a champ, and has her Dad wrapped around her little finger. She likes to watch people & kids, so I try and get her out a couple times a week. This also wears her out and encourages good nap time behavior. I think she will be really confused when we start putting her in her car seat without her super-awesome-warm-cute hat (THANKS again, A!). But probably, if she knew spring was coming, she'd be ready for it, too.

4 comments:

  1. And it's good for you to get out too, right? Although we don't have a lot of 18 degree weather (we've had some low temps), I take EDH for walks in the cold too. I figure as long as his feet don't get frostbite, it makes him a better person, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I found your food paragraph interesting too. As far as pizza crust goes, I found that using a baking stone works really well. The crust is much better just by being baked on a stone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the January Christmas idea! Closer to springtime too, which is when Jesus was likely born anyway. Good for you for still taking walks! My poor kids don't get out of the house often in the winter, though we do try to make it to the library somewhat often.

    Was my pizza crust recipe a flop?! It's my favorite one because I've not managed to mess it up...I've made it half-wheat/half-white before, and it was just okay, but I felt better about at least using some wheat flour. I've never made it with all wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like the food section. I second the suggestion about the pizza stone. When we had one it made the best crust, when I still ate pizza :>( Iiked the part about baby H. I hear she is getting very cute. It's been awhile since I've seen her. Can't wait till my next time to see her...hint...hint. BTW, I wrote this all with my iTouch! I'm inordinately proud of that! Dad

    P.S. Hang in there with weather. I wish I could say I understand but I don't know Iowa winters.

    ReplyDelete