Monday, September 22, 2014

What We're Into: Labor Day Edition

(This is very belated, but I found this in the drafts folder today. At the time it seemed a little too Eeyore, but in retrospect E and I got a good laugh. Hopefully the Fall Edition has a little more cheer and a lot more pumpkin spice.)

We are settling into our new house- it's slowly feeling less like a really nice vacation home, and more like a place we live, and also, inexplicably and somewhat overwhelmingly, own and are responsible for. Some things we're into right now:

Our exterminator: Dave and I are on a first-name basis. He's come three times for wood roaches and once for yellow jackets. I'm wondering if he does snakes.

Deep breathing: We found three more wood roaches in the past week, and I had been hoping not to renew my acquaintance with Dave until spring. One was dead and none were in our bed, so we're thinking good thoughts and trying not to hold our breath.

Yard work: After E found a copperhead hiding in the rotting plant he was removing, we are on a mission to destroy any attractive snake habitat in our yard. At the current rate we're going, this will take infinity weeks.

Paying bills: We bought a house with 600 additional square feet, painted a room, exterminated (twice), replaced 20 feet of sewer pipe, extricated yellow jackets from our walls (exterior!) and replaced the damaged siding, and bought a literal truck load of furniture from Ikea. You can do the math if you like, but I'd rather not.

(It's real-time me again. Just wanted to let any concerned parties know that we have not found any more snakes and only one roach since writing this. The AC was almost broken but it turns out we are signed up for some kind of remote shut off on really hot days, so the bills are OK too.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my! I remember hearing about the snake, but all the other stuff sounds quite overwhelming too. But poisonous snakes scare me, so I hope you either find where they are living or that one was visiting from neighbors far, far away.

    ReplyDelete