Sunday, September 9, 2012

Library Day

Oh Library Day, how I love thee. Of all of our weekdays, you are blessed, because Baby H and I both enjoy your activities. Just when we are starting to get crazy- which sometimes is as soon as the library opens- we get to leave our house! And go somewhere! With entertainment, provided by others! Mama gets to look at some books, for about 4 seconds. If it's a really good library day, there will be holds for us. (I have them pull holds for me even if they were at the library to begin with, so I don't have to drag poor Baby H though the adult section and look at books with one eye and half a brain while the other half watches H pull books off shelves and the the other eye checks for judge-y patrons/ scolding librarians.)

Then we head back to kiddie land, and I follow H around, until it's time to secure our spot in The Mosh Pit, aka the story time area. We have to get a good seat so we can be up close and personal with Miss L, the best storyteller ever. (Really, that part is totally true.) Once we fight off the camp and daycare hoards, story time can start. H tries to avoid falling asleep on my lap while I enjoy the feeling that I'm being a good parent while doing absolutely nothing. Win! Then, H gets to practice her social/pushing skills while she goes to get a stamp on her hand. If we came early, Mama is usually tuckered out of supervising, and we head home for lunch. And nap. During which I have new reading material! And then, the day is half over! Now, the only question is about the afternoon activity....


2 comments:

  1. Those social/pushing skills are important! Edwin excels at those (especially the pushing part). I wish our story time librarian was as good as Miss L seemed to be. That was one reason we haven't made it a priority at our local library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about you at the library yesterday. Has Rose met the Cynthia Rylant books? They're my middle kids' favorites, and there are lots of them. Check out the Henry and Mudge, Mr. Putter and Tabby, Annie and Snowball, and Poppleton series...you won't be disappointed!

    And I hear you about the holds. They're the only way I get to read any Mom books.

    ReplyDelete