Saturday, November 20, 2010

Saturday

I spent what felt like the whole day cooking. I'm pretty sure E feels like he spent the whole day doing dishes. Making good food from scratch, with no dishwasher, sometimes feels like a full time job. I did use canned beans, though, and nothing was bought with a coupon. We had chicken & onion "pizza" for lunch, and chili and salad for dinner, with garbanzo bean chocolate cake for dessert. I've been trying to avoid buying extra things (at the grocery store that is ACROSS THE STREET) and just make do with what we have- so I tried the flax seed substitute for an egg. And bitter chocolate squares for bittersweet chocolate chips. I can't tell you how it turned out, though, since I never had garbanzo bean chocolate cake before. It was all worth it to host our (gluten avoiding) friends for dinner- we don't host as much as we used to, living out here in Tiny Town, and we miss it.

Baby H spent a good part of the day napping or watching us cook- she looked pretty surprised at the food processor, though. She couldn't sleep while the party was going on- she wasn't really crying, but kept shouting from her cradle. I think she wanted to join in the conversation- she seemed content when I brought her out to suck her pacifier in her swaddle. Having her arms contained and a pacifier in her mouth is her favorite way to observe the party when she's tired. I wear her in the wrap a lot, too, especially when we're out. I can't believe she's three months old, today! How could she have gone from this:


to this:


in just three months?

Moving into a season of children has been fun & hard- we stay home a lot more, which isn't all bad. It's great for the budget. It's hard to feel like we can't stay up late with friends, talking- our guests had a 1 year old, and we all managed the controlled chaos until irreversible meltdowns were pending. But they came at five, so we got a chance to chat with them- new friends in a similar life circumstance. Turns out she and I share a secret blog-reading habit! So funny.

Tomorrow our church moves to it's new, farther (for us), closer (for everyone else) location. And we have to stop by the store (or two) because I refuse to shop with Baby H alone again before Thanksgiving. I still haven't recovered from the screaming incident last time. But I'm sure I will. After the crazed mobs are done shopping for the holiday of food.

1 comment:

  1. She's changed so much! I'm so glad you have a blog. Keep it up. We blog-stalkers rely on the updates, and will keep commenting since comments are fun. ;)

    We're having a couple of families over for Christmas -- there will be 7 kids 4 and under here, so we'll see how much "conversation" happens! Hopefully the bounce-house will help. It's going to all be gluten-free (a good friend has Celiacs), so I've been experimenting over the past couple of weeks. I hope to have some GREAT fool-proof recipes in my arsenal soon, in case your GF friends come over again!

    ReplyDelete