Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Remembered

We probably have many things to be thankful for this year, but the main focus has definitely been on Baby H! We were really sad not to be able to celebrate with family back East, but we are starting to feel more settled here- we even had a tradition for Thanksgiving! We spent the day with the same friends we did last year, plus their family, with the addition of another family we know.

As Thanksgiving approached, I was dreading the reliving of my Thanksgiving mistake last year- the pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie is easy to make, and I am a pretty adventurous cook. Last year I made two. I even used the pre-made crusts, so I figured it was pretty foolproof. I planned to serve one as dessert to some guests the day before Thanksgiving and bring the other to Thanksgiving dinner. However, we discovered as we had dessert with our guests, I had forgotten the sugar! This, apparently, is what happens when you talk on the phone while you make dessert, even one as easy as pie. We also discovered that in Tiny Town there is no place to buy eggs after dinner the day before Thanksgiving so you can re-make your pumpkin pie the next day. So, I made a (not very good) caramel sauce to take with the pie and sweeten it up. It turns out there was plenty of dessert, no one ate the pie, and life moved on.

I figured when we ended up spending Thanksgiving with the same group this year I might be relieved of all cooking duties. However, it turns out they remembered something I had totally forgotten- I showed up last year and made the gravy from the pan drippings. In fact, several people commented, upon hearing that E and I would return this year, "Oh good! R can make the gravy again!" Who knew?! So, I brought stuffing this year, and made the gravy. To tell you the truth, it wasn't my most resounding cooking success- but there was lots of it, which is important when there are 12 adults and too many kids to count. And, they all seemed happy that at least they didn't have to make it!

Selective memory. Something to be thankful for, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment